Barnes Area Historical Association (BAHA)
BAHA’s Summer Festival
Saturday, July 29, 2023
9am – 5pm
Big Cash Raffle – Silent Auction
Meat Raffle – BINGO – Great Food
BAHA Summer Festival Big Cash Raffle Drawing
BAHA Museum Gift Shop is NOW OPEN!
- Are you looking for a special gift for a Birthday, Anniversary, Get Well, Thank You, or other occasion?
- Be sure to check out the new display of items in the Gift Shop.
- You’ll find a wide array of interesting items for all ages: clothing items; wood crafts; a range of books by MacQuarrie, Ojibwe authors, and local writers; Barnes Centennial glassware and other items; note cards; walking sticks; items for the home and outdoors; and much more.
- There are practical items, decorative items, items linked to the history of Barnes, and some that will be “just plain fun” to own!
- Whether it’s a gift for YOU…or a gift for OTHERS…you’re sure to find the perfect choice!
- Come and Explore!
The Gift Shop, located at 4545 Cty. Hwy. N in Barnes, is Open on Fridays & Saturdays from 10 am–3 pm.
Here’s a peek at some of what you’ll find when you visit our gift shop!
Preserving history of the Barnes community and the Eau Claire Lakes.
- BAHA has incorporated the Main Museum into 6 room categories with each having emphasis on a certain aspect of the area and its people.
- THE LAKE ROOM displays: Large Colored Elk Picture, Malo Fish, old motors, Information dealing in all fishing aspects.
- THE HERITAGE ROOM displays: Silver Beach Elk Skeleton, Authentic Indian Bead objects, Town Flip Board information; Barnes Town government, Census, Earlier Homestead, Land Patents, School Info, and Maps displaying information of the area. The Kiosk displays more Elk and Heritage memorabilia. Original Fresh-Aire Postal Mailbox System, authentic Rolling Top Desk, Library area; books
- THE PIONEER ROOM displays: Logging and tool displays, replica of an original Indian Canoe, resorts information on our area, old tools used by pioneers, Memorabilia displayed on Kiosk of the local area.
- THE MACQUARRIE ROOM displays; authentic Gordon MacQuarrie boat and duck decoys, original typewriter, Honorary Medal given To Gordon MacQuarrie’s father, Biography Books and Books written by Gordon MacQuarrie and others, also memorabilia belonging to the MacQuarrie family. additional Items from Keith Crowley.
- THE CHILDREN’S ROOM displays: Distorted Circus Mirror, School Desks and Books, many old Toys, olden Sleds and other memorabilia.
- The BAHA GIFT SHOP displays: Apparel and Books
Museum Opens June 3rd, 2022
Friday & Saturday
6th Annual Gordon MacQuarrie Pilgrimage & Tour
August 26 & 27, 2022
Click to download PDF MacQuarrie Pilgrimage & Tour 2022
4th Annual Gordon MacQuarrie Brule River Canoe Tour
Sunday, August 28, 2022
Click to download MacQuarrie Canoe Tour Flyer 2022
First Annual Gordon MacQuarrie Pilgrimage Sporting Clays Shoot
Friday, August 26, 2022
Click to download MacQuarrie Shooting Clays Flyer 2022
Renovation News of the Pease One-Room Schoolhouse
WELCOMING VISITORS ~ SUMMER 2022
Click to download BAHA Renovation News & Items Needed
As you have no doubt heard during BCHS meetings, BAHA is in the midst of renovating the Pease One-Room Schoolhouse, which is now a part of the museum’s Heritage Village area. As we move forward with this project, we are actively searching for early schoolhouse items to create a “replica early 1900s school room” within a portion of the renovated building. Educational artifacts related to all of Barnes’ early schoolhouses will also be displayed throughout the building, along with historical documents, photographs, collected memories, etc. Our hope is to educate and inspire an understanding of what “life within these schools” was like for students, teachers, and community members.
The items we are still hoping to locate are listed at the bottom of this message. If you or your museum have of any of these items, that might be in need of a “new home”, please let me know. I have been asked by the BAHA Board to coordinate the “Schoolhouse Interior Renovation” and any assistance you might offer would be warmly welcomed and greatly appreciated! I will happily arrange to pick up any items and to cover any costs that might be involved. If you have relevant items that are not on our list, please let me know. I’d be interested in learning more about them!
If you know of anyone else who might be able to help us locate schoolhouse items, please let me know, or pass this message on to them with my contact information. Thank you for your help!!
Updated List of items being sought for the Pease One-Room School
Most of these items will be used to create a replica of a “small classroom” as students might have experienced in the early 1900s. Others will be displayed throughout the schoolhouse.
- Early US Flag [for wall mount with pole]
- Hand-held slate boards; Erasers & box of chalk
- Organ stool
- Old textbooks – K-8 grade levels [pre-1940]
- Kerosene lamps [wall-mounted style and hanging style]
- Water dispenser [5 gal. pottery with spigot or similar]
- Table model, battery-powered Radio [for “School On the Air” programs]
- Lunch buckets, pails, boxes
- Globe [pre-40s would be interesting – we have one dated to the 70s]
- Cursive writing scroll and other classroom teaching resources
- Small teacher’s desk or table
Thanks to donations from individuals and the Oulu Museum, we have a nice variety of desks!
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.